One at a time

One at a time

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Long Live Shithead!

So, I figured that I would let you all know (since I was yelled at by someone) that I had the vet out on Thursday to check out the old Thoroughbred. I have been very bothered by how skinny he has gotten and how severe his lameness is. I figured that his time had come. He has no front teeth, his ribs poke out, and he started dragging his front right leg. Dr. Anne had seen Shithead before when he lived at the neighbors and used to sign off on his adoption papers. I was very nervous and agitated about her coming out, but that quickly went away as soon as she got there. She told me that this is the best condition she has ever seen this horse! How that breaks my heart for this old man, but how happy that made me! She told me he looks good, and whatever Harold and I are doing, we must be doing it right by this horse. She made some adjustments in his diet so that we were getting more protein and fiber for our dollar in hopes that he might pack on a bit extra weight but other than that, she felt very comfortable telling me that she thinks he is happy and as healthy as he can be for his age and condition.

For those that don't know, Shithead became Harold's horse by default. Shithead lived here when Mike was alive and after Mike was killed, the neighbors refused to take him back saying he wasn't worth the bullet they would put in his head. So, needless to say, Harold figure this home would be Shithead's until the day he dies. Hoping for many more good years for this cranky, loveable fellow. He finally has a home where he is loved... yes, I love the old shit...

Sorry, no pictures today.

No comments: